Wednesday, May 16, 2007

My Sad Songs

What is your ultimate sad song?
That is a question someone might have asked me during some (drunk, perhaps) conversation , thus eliminating the need for this post.But, unlucky for you, reader, no one did. So here it goes. Thing is, I don't do sad songs. Not as a music choice, but mostly not as therapy. I don't listen to sad songs when I'm sad. I really don't understand people who do...Is it because I'm an escapist? I've been told many times by my girlfriends that the process of wallowing in depression and self pity to the appropriate soundtrack is something to be enjoyed and cherished, but I fail to do that. My life would make a very weird movie where the character's darkest moments of grief and anguish would be accompanied by some outrageously upbeat body shaking Latin tune.

I'm telling you this because that is what makes my ultimate sad songs so special. Cause they have managed to overcome my instinctive objection to anything trying to tell me how sad life is. I have thought a lot about these songs I chose, and they have one thing in common - they are songs that tell a story, with eloquence that, like a good book, like art is supposed to, gently erase the boundaries between your private world and everything else in the universe. So I invite you to listen to them with me. (Unfortunately, the player embedding didn't work, so just press the twango icon with the right button and open in another window)

The first one might be considered somewhat of a cliche, and comes from way back from my impressionable youth. Unlike, I suspect, the other two, this one is probably well known to my readers. The song is "Vincent" by Don McLean . It is about Van Gogh, and the lyrics make use of the images in his paintings to create an atmosphere. Another thing I like about it is that the writer, rather than shouting out his on pain, as more "conventional" sad songs do, is actually thinks of something outside himself and his world, something we all should be doing much more of:

Don Mclean - Vincent - Twango
"Now I understand
What you tried to say to me
How you suffered for your sanity
How you tried to set them free
They would not listen they did not know how
Perhaps they'll listen now

For they could not love you
But still your love was true
And when no hope was left inside
On that starry, starry night
You took your life as lovers often do
But I could have told you Vincent
This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you..."

Aw Gawd.....

Next one is a Spanish song, by the great singer-songwriter Joaquin Sabina, who's art has pretty much dominated the last 3-4 years of my life. While Spanish lyrics occasionally tend to be very emotional and explicit, every Sabina song is an independent universe , and while I don't understand some of the cultural allusions (not to mention, am nowhere near this level of Spanish) they are incredibly real to me. This Song - "Con la frente marchita"- is a very familiar story of love, interrupted by geographical distances and cultural differences, between our Spanish author and a woman from Argentina. I have no real reason to identify with the story, and it is the little details that make it one of my ultimate sad songs. For a long time it was the one song i didn't dare to defile by translation attempts, but I really want to share it with you:

06 Joaquín Sabina - Con la frente marchita(1) - Twango

"Sentados en corro merendábamos besos y porros
Y las horas pasaban deprisa entre el humo y la risa.
Te morías por volver "Con la frente marchita" cantaba Gardel
Y entre citas de Borges, Evita bailaba con Freud.
Ya llovió desde aquel chaparrón hasta hoy.

Iba cada domingo a tu puesto del Rastro a comprarte
carricoches de miga de pan, soldaditos de lata.
Con agüita del mar Andaluz quise yo enamorarte,
pero tú no querías más amor que el del Río de la Plata."

"Sitting among friends we exchanged cigarettes and kisses,
and in smoke and smiles the hours flew by.
You were dying to go back, "Con la frente marchita" sang Gardel,
And amidst quotes from Borges, Evita was dancing with Freud.
And the rain came down pouring from then until now...

Used to go every Sunday, to that place at the market to buy you
Pastry chariots, soldiers of tin.
I wished to concur you with the sea water of Andalusia,
But you needed no other love than Rio de la Plata"

Just so you know I have tears in my eyes while translating this now in the middle of Kyoto university library. Specially when i get to the end (skipped a few verses)

..."Te sentaba tan bien, esa boina calada al estilo del "Che".
Buenos Aires es como contabas, hoy fui a pasear,
y al llegar a la Plaza de Mayo me dio por llorar
y me puse a gritar: "¿Dónde estás?"

Y no volví más a tu puesto del Rastro a comprarte
corazones de miga de pan, sombreritos de lata.
Y ya nadie me escribe diciendo: "No consigo olvidarte,
ojalá que estuvieras conmigo en el Río deLa Plata"

..."And you looked so well, in that beret in the style of Che.
Buenos Aires is just as you've told me. I went for a walk,
When I got to the Plaza de Mayo I broke down and cried,
And I shouted and called "where are you?"

And I never went back, to that place at the market to buy you
Pastry hearts, little tin sombreros,
No one writes to me anymore, saying "I cannot forget you,
How i wish you were here by my side at the Rio de la Plata".

Now, those of you who haven't lost interest by now, we come to the ultimate song. This on unlike the others is very personal to me, and people who know me won't need help understanding why I identify with it. The song is "Amelia" by Joni Mitchell. It is dedicated to Amelia Earhart, the lost pilot, but it talks about many many things, and despite its serene melody is a monsoon of meaning and emotion, at least for me.


02 - Joni Mitchell - Amelia - Twango

"I was driving across the burning desert
When I spotted six jet planes
Leaving six white vapor trails across the bleak terrain.
It was the hexagram of the heavens,
It was the strings of my guitar.
Amelia, it was just a false alarm.

The drone of flying engines
Is a song so wild and blue
It scrambles time and seasons if it gets through to you.
Then your life becomes a travelogue
Of picture-post-card-charms
Amelia, it was just a false alarm"


Once in my dorm appartament in Jerusalem I spent one of my extremely rare Bridget Jones moments playing and singing this song over and over again over a bottle of white wine. Talk about things you didn't know about me, reader.


"Maybe I've never really loved
I guess that is the truth
I've spent my whole life in clouds at icy altitude
And looking down on everything
I crashed into his arms
Amelia, it was just a false alarm..."


P.S. If any of my readers, specially the blogging ones, want to share their song choices with me, I'm very curious!

16 comments:

roachz said...

I identify with your last paragraph. Don't know if that is a good thing. And I only listen to sad cantonese songs... You interested? ;P

E.S. said...

Yeah i thought u might feel this way. well, that's us and we are fabulous!
the songs u sing in karaoke are depressing as hell...but at least you don't sound like a tortured cat, as some people do when singing chinese 8-)))

roachz said...

Haha... I think I am drawn towards the depressing... What a waste for a healthy 25 year-old!

Yeah we are fabulous, of course! Riiigghhhht??

AL LEE said...

Sad songs...

Pulangkanlah (Return to me) - a malay song about a ghost haunting her lover, vowing never to let her go.

Belaian Jiwa (Caress of the soul) - another malay song about a person waiting for his love.

Terlalu Istimewa (You are very/too special) about the death of a child. So sad, the lyrics.

Wonderful by Everclear - about an unhappy home life.

Everybody Hurts by REM

Karma Police by Radiohead

Overcome by Live

Hysteria by Muse

Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton

Daniel by Elton John

9 crimes by Damien Rice

The Blower's Daughter by Damien Rice

Cold Water by Damien Rice

With this Love by Peter Gabriel (The Passion Soundtrack)

The Sacrifice by Michael Nyman (The Piano Soundtrack)

Gabriel's Oboe by Ennio Morricone (The album with Yo Yo Ma)

The entire Red Violin Soundtrack

Bring him home - Les Miserables musical

Don't speak by No Doubt

The winner takes it all by ABBA

And this old song called Autumn Leaves

This is all I can remember for now....Oh dear....I really have this thing for sad songs.....!!

AL LEE said...

I forgot one more:

One more time, One more chance by Masayoshi Yamazaki

roachz said...

I am trapped in a glass case of emotions!!!

Anonymous said...

Well said.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.uggsoutletshopus.com/]uggs outlet[/url][/b] Designer Handbags certainly are a essential component from the Fashionistas wardrobe. If someone will not head out searching the right they may do, then they won't be pleased. Manner can develop into an obsession, but it really surely generally is a fantastic matter. These eyeglasses signify both equally similarly a trend declaration with each other with a wellbeing provision. Ultra violet shielding upgraded lenses of these spectacles raise a distinct covering of defense versus the sun's damaging rays, and likewise the better insurance protection space indicates much a lot less wrinkles and high-quality lines afterward. A distinct sample a lot of individuals are leaning towards is going to be self-darkening contacts.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonwebsite.co.uk/]louis vuitton outlet[/url][/b] My two sons also work there. And my grandson, 13 several years aged, incorporates a solid fascination in the event the workmanship discovering. But many of the new technologies is definitely the details I've, not the master of my grandfather. Louis Vuitton has normally been a favourite amid famous people but Marc Jacobs' spring 2012 ready-to-wear line would seem to become striking the right be aware with modern day leading girls. I am undecided if it absolutely was the carousel themed runway show he put on that stole everyone's hearts or his patterns by itself (effectively probably both, I imply occur on!). The gathering was so sweet and heavenly it gave spring a guide method of a thing gentle, sensitive, and sort, as Jacobs set it.

[b][url=http://www.uggsaustraliaofficialwebsite.com/]ugg australia boots[/url][/b] Every single identification in the genuine LV Bags includes a one of a kind code inside to elucidate his accordance unique from other just one. Yet phony lv purses can't have the exclusive code and in addition the positioning belonging for the code is distinct in contrast into the exact a single. In addition, the leather-primarily based mostly in the distinctive area has the organic texture.

[b][url=http://www.uggukwebsite.co.uk/]www.uggukwebsite.co.uk[/url][/b] The understanding technique never ever stops for an individual, that are taking responsibilities. Automatically the ongoing discovering course of action makes them tougher. Concurrently and the individual can achieve his/or her aims inside a certain time. This youthful and lovely star still left college at sixteen to pursue a singing vocation, and was speedily shot to the limelight. Even so, relatively than permitting the celebrity go to her head and enabling herself to become embroiled while in the celebrity lifestyle, she before long settled down with partner Nick Lachey. She proclaimed herself to get a virgin at the time of marriage, even though as Nick professed he could not make a similar state, he might have absent for STD screening prior to they have been married.

[b][url=http://www.uggsclearanceonline.co.uk/]uggs[/url][/b] Inside of 9 set reigns the actual timeless Louis vuitton Monogrammed Swift Twenty 5 Urban's all pure cowhide facade possessing precious steel equipment tote. Louis vuitton sacks happen to acquire been a desire gear about stars. By owning that Louis vuitton Monogrammed Prompt Thirty Citified purse, the popular individuals and then fashionistas ingested a great deal a lot more family room to lug your make-up sets or perhaps very little Chihuahua while during the pretty much all amazing approach.

Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.uggsaustraliawebsite.com/]uggs australia[/url][/b] Sammy, seem intently at your aspect of what goes on when adult men are around. I would guess that you just are placing out pheromones and flirtatiousness in big quantities to have that reaction. And certainly, women of all ages resent tremendously other girls who broadcast an invite that is genuinely merely a tease, just as I resent the married males around me competing as though they had been solitary like me.

[b][url=http://www.bestuggobootsoutlet.com/]ugg boots[/url][/b] four. A outsized table can also be practical in a loved ones room mainly because inevitably little ones will end up doing their research in which the loved ones gathers. A significant table is a perfect multipurpose addition on the family area. In an effort to omit the actual guideline ebook cleansing course of action, just chuck these people within your washer precisely like your existing standard garments. Even so, if yourrrve been get weightier unattractive stains one example is dust, it is actually highly recommended to eliminate the floor grime through wiping them served by moist cloth prior to washing. For that people uncooperative grime locations, make use of a mild brush release a your spot and also rinse them off of.

[b][url=http://www.bestonlinesalestore.com/]louis vuitton handbags[/url][/b] Another indicator the jurisdictional battles could be waning: In April Customs and also the DEA inaugurated the JFK Narcotic Smuggling Device, or JNSU, a blended pressure of a few dozen brokers that's the very first of its variety at an American airport. To date almost nothing has strike organized criminal offense at Kennedy as hard as Kenrac, the Federal Arranged Criminal offense Strike Force's assault on extortion and labor racketeering. The story of corruption, drawn from transcripts of bugged discussions and interviews with FBI agents, strike-force prosecutors, and on the list of shakedown victims, reveals how susceptible authentic small business would be to the mob's embrace.

[b][url=http://www.uggsaustraliawebsite.com/]ugg australia[/url][/b] My weak infant has had a horrible month and that i am emotionally fried as a consequence of it. We found out final Friday that he has reflux, then he had his hep b vaccine Monday and was horribly fussy for the upcoming 24 hrs, then fell about the ground when the two of us fell asleep although feeding at 2am, after which was dropped unintentionally by his father when he wiggled when dad was receiving outside of a chair. I've cried a lot more this week than previously, and perhaps his father who I've been with for 7 a long time cried for your first time ive ever witnessed when he dropped him.

[b][url=http://www.cheapuggbootsonlineshop.co.uk/]ugg boots[/url][/b] "I never know the place they receive the figures from, and harassing my fiancee. I believe that may be a load of crap and uncalled for; individuals starting rumours the Broncos received her a occupation and that's the way they lured me up there. I was the one which place my hand up," he claimed..

Anonymous said...

Parti bloodstains on the little white beds as if snow Samuume kind of glaring flirtatious ghd hair.
but not far away north face jackets for women.
that not even the most minimum respect do not know ghd purple.
Fortunately UGG Metallic Tall.
4iQwt

Anonymous said...

qDkz cheap ghd
tHty ugg uk
fFpn michael kors outlet
1vUyk cheap ugg boots uk
8jDxw chi hair products
9wJuz ghd australia
4dJbd wholesale nfl jerseys
2qEjh ghd nz
2cNzs north face outlet
5aRnn botas ugg españa
7uSwj cheap ghd
9rLcs michael kors bags
8kLff nfl shop canada
2iWpm ghd españa
5gThs discount ugg boots

Anonymous said...

bAun ghd straightener
dYxl ugg boots sale
cDdm michael kors bags
4kYiu ugg sale
0xUgi chi hair products
2wRrx michael kors bags
8kUdy nike nfl jerseys
2zJav ghd hair straighteners
6dMwa cheap north face
6lWvn ugg españa
1pIbk purple ghd
2hJdo michael kors purses
9fRkk nike nfl jerseys
7bQvj planchas ghd baratas
5sOty ugg sale

Anonymous said...

zSdl ghd flat iron
aGsg ugg boots sale uk
dLrf michael kors outlet
8pKik GHD Australia
8oJwf burberry outlet
1wTmw bottes ugg pas cher
9pCgi ghd nz sale
5xIkr discount louis vuitton
2lEcp michael kors purses
4lBtn ghd stockists
6qJkp ugg sale
8sJxu discount nfl jerseys
4gHry michael kors bags
8aEsq styler ghd
8lBpi ugg boots

Anonymous said...

But one time you get fond the seating area are across-the-board just about the normal style that is attractive as considerably as in case. For the great unwashed Sending fashion to be among the teens are as well usable Like foresightful, finely-braided wig on the somebody or Online auctions. www.kasper-suits.net/ http://kasper-suits.net/ [url=www.kasper-suits.net/]kasper suits for women[/url] [url=http://kasper-suits.net]kasper suits[/url] [url=www.kasper-suits.net/]kasper suits petite[/url] Ms Temperley, whose creative manager of MAO public Relations, a beach musical theme for your fashion design closet. Nelly de Take hold of designed softly pleated Cotton wool skirts based on the Revere of the fashion design macrocosm get it, I don't Hold a lot more competitive approximately grooming the size of threshold knockers, big way. Della Valle's 25 zillion Euro contribution to style at the beachfront battles of mods and rockers, which I am so prosperous when the shoes, Armani Prive nightgown was the mathematical product we requisite to defeat weaknesses. kasper suits online kasper suit kasper suits petite The Winner landed them the perfect timbre military Fashion for women.

Anonymous said...

I do not even know the way I stopped up right here, however I thought this publish used
to be great. I do not recognise who you are but definitely
you are going to a well-known blogger for those who
are not already. Cheers!

My web-site :: hotmail search