Sunday, November 05, 2006

My Search for Zen










Tofukuji (東福寺) temple made its way to the top of the list of places I must see for no apparent reason. I've seen a few postcards of the place and noticed the train station of same name, that's it. But somehow in past few weeks it was clear to me that next time I go traveling alone it will be to Tofukuji.


In general, of all the numerous temples and shrines in Kyoto, I love those of the Zen sects most. (So if any of my readers want to recommend one I'll be grateful). Mostly because they are less overcrowded with golden Buddha statues that don't agree with my either religious or aesthetic ideas. Instead you get quiet wooden corridors, smell of rain and forest and enigmatic stone gardens.



As I arrived to Tofukuji, my first impression was that way too many people were walking around and no Zen was likely to be had. But as it goes with the big temple complexes, you can always find a secluded corner, some tree or rock no one else is admiring at the moment. And when you breath in the temple's atmosphere, nothing disturbs you anymore. The feeling of raw wood beneath your bare feet, the open corridors drowning in green take your mind away.



I was swept by the Japanese obsession with changing seasons. I can't explain why is it that I can't wait for the leafs to change color but it's true. What do I think will happen once they do? One of the greatest things in Japanese culture is its ability to celebrate nature. The most simple things, colored by ritual, give reason for harmless and effortless joy. And I believe the human soul demands it - the promise of change, of new hope and of continuation at the same time. After all, maybe it's all there is. Flowers blossom and scatter, people live and die, and seasons come and go.



When the leaves turn red this place will be violently beautiful. Now it's just a touch of blush, a hint of change, a promise of a miracle. If I were a Japanese poet it is this passing moment I would find most beautiful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Like your blog very much...You give insights on whats going on in our minds so good, that makes me think that although you the quiet, shy type of person you always thinking...

I never been to Tofukuji before, but I dont know about your opinion but some places in Kyoto (specially some temples or shrines) seam to my like those Hollywood movies that have a lot of publicity but in the end they are so shallow and repetive...like you have the feeling and think every time you see one, "been there, done that".

I guess after your enthusiastic words, i think it is worth going...Thanks for the sugestion...

All the best for your blog, I really enjoyed it. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey! Oh yeah kyoto will be violently beautiful.. too bad we will pushed around by obachans and ojichans. sad........

Anonymous said...

yeah... i agree with the 'violent', metaphorically & physically!!! nasty little obachans... opps, did i saythat out loud?

Anonymous said...

Tofukuji is gorgeous in autumn but my favourite autumn place is still Shugakuin Imperial Villa (you need to book to enter - you can do the reservation in the Imperial Palace). You enter in groups and don't have to fight with people!

I am obsessed with the changing of seasons because I come from a country with only two seasons, if you can call it that: hot or rainy. Sakuras are like spring snowfalls to me. Autumn is like an artist's canvas brought to life. Winter is when I get to wish for snow. And summer...well summer reminds me of home :)

Ai Ling